UAH is secular, intellectual and non-aligned politically, culturally or religiously email discussion group.


{UAH} Bobi Wine's victory; Very thought-provoking

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN
This 29th day of June marks a turning point in the politics of our country! History has been made. The people of Kyadondo East have spoken and their voice is being heard far and wide! The resounding victory is testament that the people of Kyadondo, and indeed the people of Uganda are ready for a new kind of leadership- a leadership which truly represents them. A leadership of the people, by the people and for the people in its true meaning!  A leadership in which the citizen is truly the king and the leaders are true servants! Let the spin masters not try to twist this and come up with all sorts of explanations for our victory- this is nothing but the voice of the people! This victory is evidence that when people are united in purpose there is nothing out of their reach. This victory is not mine. This is your victory!
My deepest thanks go to all my supporters across Uganda and the world. The people of Kyadondo East, my campaign volunteers- those who spent sleepless nights on the campaign trail, those who made sacrifices to make this happen- THANK YOU. For resisting all forms of intimidation and machinations, and turning up to vote in large numbers- THANK YOU.  Most of you kept at the polling stations, and remained vigilant to ensure that no one stole your victory. You have proven once again that people power is more powerful than the people in power!
To my wife Barbie and our dear children you know how proud I am of you for being part of this journey from the very first day! 
Now is the time to get to work. That means that we must put our differences aside and come together to build a great future for our constituency and for our country.  Our people have made it clear that now is the time to cause positive change in Uganda. We shall embark on causing this change in our small neighborhood and hopefully show our brothers and sisters all over Uganda that IT IS POSSIBLE. Our eyes have been opened. Let us not go back to sleep. We know what we need. We know what we deserve. Now let's go get it. It will not be about me, but about us. I have promised that I will be the voice for the common person- 'eddoboozi ly'omuntu wabulijjo.' I begin now.
This term must be about the people. Let us work together to restore integrity in our leadership. Our strength will lie in our unity. Even if you did not vote for me and perhaps we disagree on some things, let the love we share for Uganda unite us to work for a better future for ourselves and our children. Those who ran with me in this election, I must congratulate you for putting up a spirited fight. I pledge to work with you for the good of our constituents. I ran as an independent because I thought as I do now, that there is something bigger than political parties- the spirit of our nation. We must never forget that what unites us is greater than what divides us- be it parties, religion, tribe or class. I welcome everyone to be part of this movement. We have just began. Together, we will get there.
I have learnt a lot from this campaign. I have learnt the positive and the ugly sides of our politics. That has made me smarter and even more determined to make a contribution, together with all well-meaning country men and women! Above all, this campaign gave me an opportunity to listen to people. From brick layers to boda-boda riders. Health-workers to teachers. Our retired senior citizens to those who serve in our armed forces.  People from all walks of life! I am energized by your love for a better country. I am inspired by your hard work and sacrifice. I share in your dreams for a better day.
It is time for me to bring the Ghetto Parliament to Parliamentary Avenue, and no one can deny that the Ghetto Parliament is strong! This is the leadership of the common people. We shall not just have our meetings in Kampala's luxury hotels, but in our homes, schools, hospitals, shops and bufundas across the nation. This is where I will be, because that is where most of us are! And this is where we will create the change for which I ran in this election! This is not the end. It is just the beginning of a new chapter in the story of Uganda. A phase in which instead of disempowering the common person, we empower them to rise up and start to build their nation with their own hands. I will be there with you all, every step, all the way! In the coming days we shall have community meetings for the people of Kyadondo East, and I will also not forget my supporters in the rest of the country and beyond. I was once a ghetto child with dreams that everyone thought were unachievable, but here we are today- exceeding those expectations! Young people- be inspired! I am grateful that you have embraced my message- the future isn't tomorrow. The future is today!
I know your expectations for me are high and I am ready to make you proud.
THANK YOU.
# Mwebalekubikwasakyagulanyi

From: Bobby Alcantara
Sent: ‎6/‎29/‎2017 7:26 PM
To: ugandans-at-heart
Subject: {UAH} 'Kasese was my saddest moment in Uganda'

Home / In The Magazine / 'Kasese was my saddest moment in Uganda'

'Kasese was my saddest moment in Uganda'

 

Dr. Peter Blomeyer, the outgoing German Ambassador to Uganda, talked to The Independent's Ronald Musoke about the highlights and low moments of his two-and-half year stay in Uganda.

What have been some of your impressions of Uganda?

Uganda is a very beautiful country (and) I always go into raptures when describing to my friends in Germany the variety of Ugandan nature. Uganda features almost all African landscapes but what I find even more intriguing is the friendliness and the warm welcome the people of Uganda granted me. But I also found that Uganda is confronted with a number of pressing problems which it has to deal with proactively. The biggest challenge Uganda is facing is the growth of her population. If each year, the Ugandan population grows by one million, this means that every week, you have to build schools for 20,000 children, educate teachers for 20,000 children, build additional hospitals for 20,000 people, create jobs for 20,000 people. Are you doing that? Conflicts on land are also going to increase because the surface of Uganda will not grow. My other observation is that while at the surface peace seems to have been established over the last 30 years, underneath there are a number of unresolved issues which you could call "frozen conflicts." The Lord's Resistance Movement (LRA) war and excesses from the Ugandan army in Acholiland and West Nile still have lasting impacts on a population of which up to 60% suffer mental health problems.  The disarmament by force in Karamoja has not reconciled the population with the state, just as their "nephews'" war in Teso is not forgotten; tribal conflicts in the West continue to end in tragedies like in Kasese last year; and even the dispute between Buganda and Uganda about the future of federalism in Uganda has been put to sleep but not been settled. The political system in Uganda has also not been advanced to a point where peaceful transfer of power can be taken for granted. This requires leadership by conviction and not by force; a balance between government and opposition; a strong and responsible civil society whose opinion is respected by the government; the readiness of political leaders to see each other as competitors in politics but also as partners in building democracy. Last year's elections have shown that this spirit is still missing. But only this and nothing else can guarantee long term stability for the country.

How would you rate the current relations between Germany and Uganda?

For a long time, Ugandan-German relations have been, and they remain stable, warm and cordial, distinguished by mutual respect and high esteem. As for Germany, we appreciate the constructive role Uganda plays in the region, with her engagement in Somalia taking the brunt of the conflict on her soldiers; with her positive influence for peace in South Sudan; with the Ugandan President's mediator role in Burundi and with his efforts to keep the EAC together. Now, expectations run high that he will be able to safeguard the Arusha agreement or make EPA possible.

What are some of the programmes you have overseen during your time here in Uganda?

We have three priorities here in Uganda; energy, water and rural development. Personally, I find all of them well chosen because they address key needs in Uganda. For rural development, I do hope that it will include programmes concentrating on the reconciliation of people and nature. We should support people living close to natural reserves in coexisting and, even more, in preserving and benefitting from the beautiful National Parks and other reserves of Uganda which even constitute a World Heritage. We have supported the Auditor General's Office, the Equal Opportunities Commission; we have funded conflict mediation programmes, regional programmes to solve border disputes and supported regional organizations such as the EAC, IGAD, and the Nile Basin Initiative. We have also had numerous private initiatives. In the embassy, we have counted not less than 150 individual German initiatives for cooperation with Uganda. To me, this is what really makes our relations strong and stable.

Give us some of the highlights of your stay in Uganda

First and foremost, watching how happy our little daughter was in Uganda, as was the entire family, thanks to the warm and welcoming nature of the Ugandan people. Discussions with Ugandans in general were highlights for me—right from the President to my drivers. I might also mention a panel discussion on the occasion of 50 years of cooperation between Uganda and Germany (in 2014) where all Ugandan participants provoked by the day's theme showed the will of the Ugandan people to advance their country's development. I am also grateful for the chance I got to work with Ugandan artists and curators who staged so many expositions at our residence, mostly when we had concerts with German musicians coming to Uganda. And, last but not least, the close encounters with the gorillas, the chimpanzees, shoebills, the Big Five and many other beautiful creatures in the most beautiful of settings in Uganda.

A picture taken on December 1, 2016 shows houses that belonged to royal guards of the Rwenzururu Kingdom and have been burnt down, in Kasese, Uganda.

How about your frustrations and disappointments?

I must say the saddest moment for me in Uganda was when


[The entire original message is not included.]

Sharing is Caring:


WE LOVE COMMENTS


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Followers