UAH is secular, intellectual and non-aligned politically, culturally or religiously email discussion group.


{UAH}

Robert Atuahirwe,
 
This my Filipino family- they arenow quite high ranking in Duterete's government- the wife is a Minister. They hosted me for about 6 months when those two boys were still little toddlers- about 4 and 6 years I think. They lived in an affluent area of Iligan city in Mindanao, but not too far away was a deprived area of mainly urban poor communities, with many kids hanging  about , and kicking banana rolled balls on the roads and between ramshackled houses. So one day, I went to the nearby primary school, and I asked the catholic priests if I could use their playgrounds to run a football club for the barrio ( slum) kids. And they agreed, so I set up a football club for children, with my own money- it had nothing to do with my work or my organisation. I just bought the footballs, kit and refreshments every Saturday and paid allowances to the coach and his two assistants (about $30 per week).so these two little boys would spend all their Saturdays in my care, playing football. They still remember me as a footballer, and yet I am the worst footballer there could ever be.  But here they are now,  one seated is a lawyer and is married as you can see. He sent this picture a few minutes ago- the birthday party is still going on. I have spoken to them on  the phone. I feel Loved. It breaks my heart that I am more loved out of Uganda than I am in Uganda. By the way, in the Philippines they all   think I am an angel, a sort of Mother Theresa  figure.. I left such a powerful impression on nearly everybody I met and worked with. But I was always at pains to warn them that not all Africans are like me- otherwise they will make big mistakes in life if they ever interact with other Africans and assume they are like me..
 
Bobby
Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor
 
Comments
George Okello
 

--
Disclaimer:Everyone posting to this Forum bears the sole responsibility for any legal consequences of his or her postings, and hence statements and facts must be presented responsibly. Your continued membership signifies that you agree to this disclaimer and pledge to abide by our Rules and Guidelines.To unsubscribe from this group, send email to: ugandans-at-heart+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

Sharing is Caring:


WE LOVE COMMENTS


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Followers