UAH is secular, intellectual and non-aligned politically, culturally or religiously email discussion group.


{UAH} Besigye: How I Beat 24-hr Surveillance At Kasangati


Opposition firebrand, Col Kizza Besigye has for the first time spoken out on how he managed to dodge the 24-hour police surveillance at his Kasangati residence on Thursday before emerging in Kampala downtown where he was intercepted by security forces.

By Nixon Segawa 3 hours 20 minutes ago
Besigye says he caught Police flat-footed before escaping from his Kasangati residence on Friday
Besigye says he caught Police flat-footed before escaping from his Kasangati residence on Friday

In a detailed statement Besigye recounts playing hide and seek games with Police that maintains a huge cordon around his home.


 

The move humiliated the Police especially Kasangati DPC, Chemonges, who was tasked with keeping a close eye on the former Presidential candidate and retired opposition FDC leader. 


 I have just returned home from Nagalama Police Cells where I spent the day. I was arrested from Luwum Street in downtown Kampala at about 10.30 am.


I was reading the Daily newspapers inside the car parked properly in one of the marked parking slots. I refused to be released without any acknowledgement of my arrest and detention as the OC had directed.


 Eventually, I was handed a Police Bond indicating that I am charged with disobedience of lawful orders committed on an unspecified day in Kasangati!


Something has gone seriously wrong with the upkeep of the Nagalama police cells since I was last there just before end-of-year holidays.


 A putrid smell greets you from the door. Once inside the cells, the source of the smell becomes evident. A dysfunctional WC pan that is inside the Cells (without a door) is overflowing with faecal matter and surrounded by maggots.


The floor is covered by what must be fermented urine. By the time I was released, my whole body and clothes were exuding the same smell.

I've just fished some kind of fumigation of my body!


The business I intended to do today was very rudely disrupted by the Police. It all started very early in the morning when I was getting ready to leave home. I was informed that all the exits from our home were blockaded by Police trucks.


This has become a fairly common situation. Permanently, our main private driveway has a police "road-block"; with spikes across the road and manned by 3-5 policemen.


On certain days, like today, all exits are blocked by police trucks parking across the road. Other policemen are deployed all around the home. This is an ominous sign for the day. I had a scheduled meeting with Civil Society leaders at Humura Restaurant at 7.30am.


Realising the impending trouble, I notified the media and waited for some of them to come. I then drove out through the main driveway up to the roadblock.


As expected, the DPC Kasangati, Mr. Chemonges Seiko informed us that he was not going to allow us through; he ordered us to go back home.

I explained to him, as I always do, that my home is not a prison and that he was violating the law. Mr. Chemonges is clearly impervious to such pleas. We went back home and immediately left through an exit that was unknown to Mr. Chemonges.


As we were being arrested from the Luwum Street parking, I saw a bewildered Mr. Chemonges among the many policemen that were surrounding our vehicle!


Scaling walls 

Later in the afternoon, people in our home were shocked when they saw a Senior Police officer, accompanied by some other policemen, scaling the perimeter wall of the residence.


My Aide, Mr. Mugumya Sam, who happened to be at home, was called to help. On going to see who the trespassers were, Mr. Mugumya was shocked to find that it was Mr. Chemonges, the DPC!


Challenged by Mugumya as to why he was he was gaining access to the home in that way, Mr. Chemonges said that as Police, they have the right to enter homes as they like!


The Police Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) that was used to tow our vehicle to CPS crushed the rear glass and damaged the rear of the car.


These blatant violations of Human Rights that have become routine, further show that we have a rogue regime in our country. The sooner we all rise and stop it the better the country and its future.

-

--
*A positive mind is a courageous mind, without doubts and fears, using the experience and wisdom to give the best of him/herself.
 
 We must dare invent the future!
The only way of limiting the usurpation of power by
 individuals, the military or otherwise, is to put the people in charge  - Capt. Thomas. Sankara {RIP} '1949-1987

 
*"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
revolution inevitable"**…  *J.F Kennedy


 


Sharing is Caring:


WE LOVE COMMENTS


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Followers